Wednesday, January 23, 2008

You know you're getting older when...

...you can't remember how old you are now, you now need glasses for reading and kids these days have no idea what parachute pants or hypercolor shirts are. Okay, okay I'm not that old...I'll be turning the ripe old age of 27 tomorrow, but I am creeping ever so closely towards the big 30, and sometimes I feel like I'm 80. When I was growing up, my mom made our birthday one stinkin big party and a huge deal. We would get our favorite breakfast, she would make the coolest birthday cake and we could have a sleepover party while staying up late and watching movies and my dad would always send me a rose at school (and I would proudly display it for all the boys to see and be jealous of :) He would also get us one gift that we didn't expect and wrap it in butcher paper and bring it out at the end. People make birthdays so painful and dull these days. Sure, you're another year older, but who cares? Sure, you have gained a little weight, have stretch marks in weird places and you have lost those sexy college legs. I love birthdays, I love birthday cake (mom made me a double chocolate carrot cake which I'm eating at the moment...smashing ice cream and cake together...excellent) I love opening birthday cards, I love opening birthday presents, I love sharing another year with the people in my life that decided to love me and not kill me. I love reminded my husband and writing in gigantic neon letters on his desk calendar that my birthday is on Thursday and having him still forget. I love looking back and remembering the cool birthday parties like roller skating, slumber parties, and pool parties and the best birthday presents.....my Sheera sleeping bag, cabbage patch kids and of course the best gift ever...my trumpet!! I actually think my parents took out a small loan or sacrificed getting new carpet and bought me my trumpet instead...good investment mom! As a mom, I want to make my boys' birthdays so special and making a whole day or even a week long birthday celebration!! Hooray for Birthdays!

Lonnie's parents were just here on a quick fly-by stop on their way home from Minnesota visiting their daughter and son in law. It was quite a treat to get to see them and have them stay with us because Baylor loves them so much and doesn't get to see them nearly enough. They always come bearing gifts and goodies of all kinds. We went out to eat at Gwen's (this greasy spoon restaurant down the street) because I like it and Lonnie can't stand it :) Baylor behaved himself and Brody was great and I got to eat fried mushrooms....I'll be running extra tomorrow, trust me. We wished they could have stayed longer, but they had to get back to work and Mount Vernon Illinois was calling their name :)

No comments: