Wednesday, April 2, 2008

It's gonna be rough

Sleep (or lack thereof) update. So last night was the first night of sharing a room for the boys. I was very anxious and had to do bedtime alone because Lonnie was recruiting. Everything went smooth from baths to books and even putting them both down. Baylor jumped in his bed and I rocked Brody after he ate and we sang some songs. Then I put Brody down in the crib awake, he fussed a tiny bit but then both of them went right to sleep....no crying. That in itself is a minor miracle. Now we move on to night wakings. Brody usually gets up twice a night at 11:oopm and 2:30am and then up for the day at around 6:30am. So he's on a four hour sleep cycle that involves me nursing him or he will cry. He will be eight months old tomorrow and is healthy and does not need to eat in the middle of the night. Now I'm stuck with the dilemma of letting him cry, which we finally did with Baylor and it worked. If I let him cry, he wakes Baylor up and then I have two crying kids which makes for not so much fun nights. So we know he can put himself to sleep, he does it for naps and when he goes to bed, it's just the waking up in the middle of the night and getting himself back to sleep part (without a boob). He was up last night twice, the first time he woke Baylor up (Baylor just covered his ears and went back to sleep though) the second time he didn't wake because I flew like a bat out of hell to get Brody before he got all riled up. My third sleep destroyer is my wonderful husband who actually slept in the same bed with me last night. Hello chainsaw. So between the snoring, night wakings and early rising, I probably got about three hours of good sleep. In case you haven't figured out yet, I really like sleep. I'm not talking five hours, I need a good 7-8 hours of straight sleep to feel alive, well, happy and rested. A sleep snob if you will. So the plan for tonight is to have Baylor and Chainsaw sleep together in our bed (it will be a fun reward for Baylor, like a slumber party!!) and I'll sleep in Baylor's bed with Brody in the crib, hopefully my will power can hold out on his awful cries (because I absolutely HATE letting him cry!!!) Once again, I know this is only a season in my life but I need more control over my children's sleep that what I have now. Control freak, no, sleep deprived, yes. I've read every freakin book, watched DVDs, talked to Dr's and other mamas and can't seem to fix this situation that is controlling my life as we speak. I'm not asking for much, just sleep, and maybe that's being too selfish, but to be a fully functioning stay at home goddess, I must get my beauty sleep :) Actually, I'm more concerned about my children's growth and development and sleep deprivation.

1 comment:

Crazy Mom said...

Hmmm...What about sleeping over at your mom's and letting daddy handle things? You are totally on survival mode, something I do remarkably well because I can't do it any other way.

Your kids will develop fine. They are developing fine. Leave em for an evening, or make daddy do the nighttime wake up and get him!!!

You need a time out. Give yourself permission to put yourself in time out!
:-)