Thursday, June 12, 2008

God is reminding us....

God said he would never again flood the earth, but he didn't say anything about giving us a little reminder here and there. Apparently Eastern Iowa needed a lot of reminding. We're having the biggest flood this area has ever seen and it's just amazing to me to see the damage already. Luckily, we don't live near a major river, lake or reservoir (but my parents and many friends do) We're the top story on all local and national news stations. I've been glued to the tube all day long watching in disbelief.
http://www.kcrg.com/floodwatch
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,365943,00.html
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25020185/
The last flood of this magnitude was in 1993. I have photos of me standing by the spillway in Coralville (the water is once again rushing over the top towards Iowa City) when the water began to trickle over for the first time in history. I had a stellar perm by the way...but I was only 12. The University of Iowa is beginning to go under water and Coralville (This is where I grew up) It was bad in 1993 and they are projecting it will be much worse than that.
Our prayers are with those who are underwater or going to be soon.

4 comments:

Janice said...

He certainly is giving quite the reminder huh?
Dawn and I went to town today to get groceries, etc, took some pictures and the scenery made me want to cry from the magnatude of it all. I may goto her house to have highspeed access, I'll send you some pics. My heart aches for all the people losing their homes to something we all take for granted, water. I'm thinking we probably wont be going to Ia City tomorrow, afraid we wont be able to make it back home if we do. My sis-in-law said we could crash at their place if we went down tonight. Ugh, good thing it isnt a MAJOR procedure that has to be done right away! btw love the word verification for today. poojcy, nice!

Crazy Mom said...

It certainly made the front pages of the Chicago Tribune. Glad you all are okay. Keep us posted.

Crazy Mom said...

Friday: Iowa makes front page of Trib again. Do you want me to save and send some of these to you?

Kim said...

This is insane. We almost didn't make it home yesterday because of road closures and I just saw that Mercy is evacuated. Sure glad Gracie didn't make it to her due date! By the way, you're welcome out here if your power stays off.