Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The nap refusal

Dude. Not cool. My almost three year old is refusing to nap.....while yawning and telling me that he is NOT tired. He has also decided that he can get out of bed and come downstairs and entertain me. UGH. What happened to my one hour at the most of peace and quiet. The one hour where Brody naps and Baylor naps and I can hear myself think. I can sit on the porch and read or eat ice cream or get laundry, dishes or anything that needs to be done done!!! The hour where I could actually do adult things like blog or make art!!! Ahhhhhh I can't give that up yet!!! I can't even get him to stay in bed and have "quiet" time. I do believe he's growing up. I did bribe him to watch Chicken Little and told him mom is going to do mom things and he needs to have quiet time. Is that bad parenting? Having him watch a DVD while I do mom things? I think we all deserve a little mom time. I'm still going to put up a fight with this one, he is not going to win yet.

We went to the park today to enjoy another day of glorious weather. We packed a lunch and played with daddy until we had to drop him back off at work. I was hoping that would wear at least one child out, but my hopes were smushed. I guess it's early bedtime for all of us!!!

I hope you are all enjoying the day, even if you don't get an hour to yourself :)

5 comments:

the Broffitts said...

No hours to myself here either.

astroud said...

Speaking as one with no experience... :) One of our friends at church used to spank the bottoms of their kids' feet when they would get out of bed and weren't supposed to. Just another option.

Thanks for bringing humor to my day!

Stacia (Jelmeland) Stroud

Andrea G. said...

I had honestly 2 minutes while both of them were down. David is doing the get of bed thing at night time... we spank. I remember when the Schillinger kids used to do it and they were so cute... boy how things change! :)

Stacia... is that you old friend? Are you still at West? How is married life? My blog is thegkids.blogspot.com if you want to see our latest addition!

Jill Kapfer said...

Nope, not bad parenting. I make Abbie stay in her room for 2 hours a day. She can nap (and she usually does) and then she knows that she has alone time to play or read or do whatever it is that 2 year olds do to entertain themselves. It helps keep me sane which makes me a better mom. Definitely not bad parenting.

Kim said...

Josiah has to stay in his room for at least one hour...regardless of what he chooses to do with it, although between the 2 of them I'm down to only 1/2 and hour alone.