Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Don't make me count to three....or four...or seventeen

" Do you find yourself threatening, repeating your instructions or raising your voice in attempt to get your children to obey? Are you discouraged because it seems you just can't reach the heart of your child?...."

Heck yes, can I get an AMEN!!! This is what I read before I snatched this book up in high hopes of a clear instruction manual for my strong willed little son. It is from Ginger Plowman's, Don't Make Me Count to Three. I love it. Okay, so I'm only on the second chapter but it's great. It talks about the focus of discipline being the heart and how to use the scriptures as the outline for our discipline. I'm just waiting to get to the HERE IS WHAT YOU DO WHEN....chapter.

As women, we are challenged to be the Proverbs 31 wife, woman and mama. Speaking with faithful instruction and wisdom. Ummm, okay if you count reminding Baylor not to pee on the floor faithful instruction, I'm certainly on my way! It also says that the child will raise and call you blessed. How about raise and call me stupid or a booger face! I know it will take some time and patience but I'm hoping to gain some advice and encouragement. Sometimes I feel like I'm in elementary school writing on the blackboard.....

I am not a bad mother.
I am a good mother.
I discipline the right way.
I am doing a good job.
I have a nice butt.
I feed my children healthy meals and snacks.
I am a good mother.
I am doing a good job.

Anyone else feel this way?

I'll let you know how it goes.

4 comments:

The Kac's said...

I recently listened to Ginger on Dennis Rainey's podcast. I thought she had a really great perspective about discipline. I'll have to get her book...let me know as you keep reading it what you think of it.

Laura Omundson said...

We were JUST talking about that book and heard it was great! x

Janice said...

Thanks for the reminder on that book, I think I should dust it off and start all over in it. Going through some miss bossy pants, I'm 2 issues and it is driving me bonkers! BTW, are some of the new old stuff in your Garden window? Love the red one!

Kim said...

Hello, I feel that way just about every day. Let me know about the book...I heard it was good too.