Saturday, September 27, 2008

OMG!? TTYL!

That's it. I'm annoyed. I know, I know, that doesn't happen very often. I need some explanation on why in the world texting is so popular. So hanging out with with a bunch of friends (yes, I do have them....I pay them well) and 5 out of the 15 are staring in silence at their freaking phones! Like watching paint dry on a humid day. My very favorite is when they're sitting accross the table from the person they're texting. Priceless.

PICK UP THE PHONE.

OPEN YOUR MOUTH.

TALK.

USE COMPLETE SENTENCES! OMG!!

I know it may seem like a foreign concept, especially coming from a woman who hates talking on the phone, but seriously?! What is our world coming to. I say laziness is taking control and our means of communication is getting more impersonal as we speak. Whatever happened to a good old fashioned love letter? Instead we have, Do U want me 2 call U? I need a dictionary to simply translate the texting verbage! No wonder out kids are fat and stupid, marriages fail and why John Doe's cousin's sister's uncle's roommate is leaving his boyfriend. It's called communication.
Don't even get me started on "texting while driving" Teenagers can barely drive while driving let alone use 9 keys to figure out who their secret crush is?!!! I have to admit that I have texted a total of THREE times in my life and I it took so long to figure out where those darn letters were on the keypad that I think I have grandchildren now. Maybe I'm just old fashioned but holding a simple conversation with someone always brightens my day, unless of course they are at my door trying to collect money.

How are our children supposed to learn how to write correctly (thank God for spellcheck!) speak eloquently and with respect to others if all they do is text? I hate to break it to you but your future employer isn't going to think highly when your only letter of recommendation comes from IDK my BFF Homer?

My kids are not getting phones. They can use smoke signals or a loud gong.

Just something that's been on my mind.

2 comments:

eibbtoddb said...

I often find myself referring to this online text message shorthand dictionary to figure out what the heck people are trying to say in their text messages to me:
http://www.netlingo.com/emailsh.cfm

Janice said...

I once got a Christmas letter written w/ the text lingo, it was hilarious. The back of the paper had a "glossary" of terms. I kept having to flip back and forth to figure things out. I have to admit I used to be a BIG TIME text sender, however, working in the cellular industry will do that. But I dont do it as much now that I have to pay for them. The teens do like to text alot.