Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Excuse me, it's not Holiday decorations...

...it's CHRISTMAS decorations....CHRISTMAS lights....CHRISTMAS, CHRISTMAS
CHRISTMAS!!
If it was not for the CHRIST in CHRISTmas...there would not be one....a Christmas that is. Where has America fallen of the deep end to the extent that we can't even say "SALE on Christmas decorations!" we have to say, "sale on holiday decorations!" Hold on, I have to go put an ornament on my holiday tree and then while I'm at it, I might sing a little holiday carol. (Heaven forbid you might get someones undies in a bind) Sure, it's a holly jolly holiday season, but isn't this big ole' holiday that we're celebrating CHRISTMAS? Yes, I do believe so. Remember way back in Sunday school....you know, when you used to stick glue in little Cindy's hair and make fun of your Sunday school teacher's uni brow? And that nativity scene that you used to play with as a kid? (ours is currently sitting next to lightening McQueen, Larry Boy and a t-rex...but who's to say there weren't giant cucumbers back in the day) So back to JESUS.....Yes, that one. Remember those stories about wise men and Shepards and oh yes, THE BABY JESUS!!!! That little baby my friends, is why we celebrate CHRISTMAS not just have holidays. That little baby that came to earth and eventually die for us (a big fat bunch of sinners...yes, I just called you a sinner) So please don't take the CHRIST out of CHRISTmas. Our goal this year is to make sure Baylor knows the true meaning of Christmas and how it's not all about the loot (which seems almost impossible since he realized that he gets presents this time) it's not all about the shiny glittery "holiday" decorations, it's about that little baby that was born in a manger...and I thought the sheets at St.Lukes were scratchy......True, it is fun to give presents and even more fun to get them, but we have totally over commercialized Christmas to the extent of nausea while watching t.v commercials for sales, bargains and knocking down pregnant Wal-mart employees. So maybe instead of reading them The Night Before Christmas, you read them the reality show version of Christmas...straight out of the Bible. I hope that you (and myself) can reach out to our kids this year and really show them the true reason for the season.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I can say is a BIG Ol' AMEN sister! I bet it felt good to get that all out there.

I TOTALLY agree with you, we have gone too far trying to be P.C.

Crazy Mom said...

We have a kids' Bible with Cartoon pictures of Jesus on the cross with blood dripping out of the nail holes. We skip that story at Easter and opt for the Precious Moments version instead...

That being said...to be fair, Hanukkah falls in December and their decorations ARE very pretty too. I love glowing lights and candles and anything that symbolizes Peace on Earth.

But Christmas IS my favorite....
:-)

Sheryl said...

The word Holiday is actually an contraction of Holy day anyway so, they aren't really gaining anything by calling it holiday. MERRY CHRISTMAS!