Sunday, January 4, 2009

Bedtime Battles

It may be unrealistic to assume that most children go to bed without a fight, a tear or even a complaint, but I am almost willing to give an appendage to get one bedtime with any of those. It starts when we mention that bedtime is looming and the countdown to meltdown begins. Then once the bedtime ritual is complete (bath, brush teeth, P.J's, books, prayers, bed)and it's time to say goodnight, say prayers and tuck munchkins in bed...WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Crying (from both) and monsters magically appear, curtains become scary boogie men and the, "please sleep with me" begs begin. I just want one night.....ONE night (okay, I'm totally lying, I want lots and lots and lots) that I put two boys in their beds and the only sound uttered from their lips is, "I love you mommy, goodnight." Instead, I shut the door to screams and crying. I don't know what I'm doing wrong or maybe I'm not doing anything wrong and it just has to do with the fact that my children don't sleep, I don't' know. I do know that it's making me cranky. I don't do cranky. Maybe someday, and someday soon, my boys will realize that sleeping isn't all that bad!

Don't do it....don't touch it Brody....leave the electricity alone....

Oh, so obedient...he gets that from his dad. You want to know what else he gets from his dad? It starts with a B and rhymes with Jelly and you can see it in this photo :)

3 comments:

Jill Kapfer said...

Oh hang in there, Keri. I have been having nighttime battles with Abbie. Horrible, horrible. It all started when the dog ate her last binky...oh my goodness, pure torture. She's gotten better, but it took a long time. My only advice is to just be consistent. Whatever tactic you take, stick to your guns and maybe they'll figure out that you mean business!

Janice said...

It may come t not sounding so nice, but just walk to the door, tell them that you expect them to lay down and goto sleep and that unless there is blood or broken limbs you are not coming back in there without the spankin spoon. Just to see what happens. Sometimes, not all they will dream up whatever they can to keep us with them longer b/c they dont want to goto sleep. I'm like that when there is something I dont want to do too. But, you two ae the boss(es) and they are just trying to test the waters to see how far they can go. Just stick to your guns, it is not easy, especially in a small home, to listen to them cry/throw fits (I am right with you on that problem) But it is always easier to give an opinion than actually do it, we have those problems with our kids, except only one had a monster issue (he thought he saw the bumble from rudolph a few years back :))

Lonnie said...

"B and rhymes with Jelly"....not funny.