Wednesday, January 7, 2009

You are not allowed to get sick.

So Cornell raised their family health insurance rates through the roof this year. If we were to continue with this coverage, we would have to sell some organs on the black market or I would have to go back to work, both of which we'd rather not do right now. We looked into our options and the boys finally qualify for Hawk-i health insurance for the state of Iowa. It's great, super cheap and they will actually be able to go to a dentist and chiropractor (which Lonnie and I can't right now) So we applied and then cancelled their policy through Cornell, effective Jan. 1st. Well, it's January 7th and the only thing we've heard is that our application got sent to Medicare (apparently legality reasons, you have to send it there first even though we don't qualify) We've called the medicare office about once a day, only to be transferred, put on hold or hung up on. There's the federal government for you. I'm sure there are lots of very very nice people working for the government (my mom being one of them) but this is ridiculous! So my boys are being held captive in their house, away from germs, sharp objects that may be used to slice or puncture thus making it a done deal that we travel to the ER. An ER visit would probably send us to the street in a cardboard box. I've wrapped each child in bubble wrap and a helmet, just in case. We did venture out to church and of course, as luck would have it, Brody caught a nasty cold. He is a snot factory. Luckily, I have his nebulizer and albuterol/pulmicort treatments stashed away. The only thing I'm nervous about is impending ear infections because they always seem to accompany my children after a cold. I'm making Baylor wear a mask and gloves to Awana tonight. So if you think about it, say a quick prayer of health in the direction of my kids until the insurance kicks in....then we can bust out our frequent visitor card at the Dr's office.

I'm also very excited to announce the removal of the, "ugly" couch and the naughty chair. I will have to admit, the naughty chair holds a very special place in my heart, especially since I spent 89% of my childhood sitting on it. I will however, be doing a happy dance when the couch that fell straight out of the seventies is removed. It's going to a loving home. One of Lonnie's former throwers and old neighbor has willingly agreed to take it, along with the naughty chair(I don't think he'll want to call it that anymore though, just a hunch) Now, we will only have TWO couches and one very ugly rocking chair in which Lonnie is in love with. I'll fight that battle later. Sorry Darryl, you are now the only family in Lisbon with three couches!!!

2 comments:

Jill Kapfer said...

We'll be praying for the health and saftey of your boys. Do you still have coverage? Health insurance is so expensive, it's crazy. We opted for the high deductible plan this year, great unless you have two tiny germ balls in the house!

Darryl said...

Lonnie, Noooooooo.... only two couches? Us guys are supposed to stick together!!
Actually I forgot, we have 4 couches, one more in the garage in the "Guy room".
So long 70's couch, you were a good friend........