Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Who do you work for?

Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ. Galatians 1:10

No matter how hard we try, as women and as human beings, we long for validation. Whether it be in secrecy or right out loud, it's there. It's there whether we admit it or not. Who or what we choose to be validated by is another story. The pure and simple fact is that our one true validation should come from our heavenly father. Unfortunately that isn't always the case. We spend our days comparing, contrasting and competing for the ultimate worldly validation. If you don't do this, you're a rock star and I want your secret. We secretly long for validation from friends and other moms, telling us that we're doing a good job, we're not crazy and Martha Stewart has nothing on us. We also desire validation from the loves of our lives (the husbands, wives and children) Tell us we look skinny. Tell us you love us. Tell us we're doing a good job.
After reading this verse this morning, I pondered the question that if posed. Actually the movie line, "WHO DO YOU WORK FOR?" popped in my head, but it's true! Who do you work for? Are we spending time trying to validate and prove ourselves to others that we totally forget who we're working for? Oh my, I totally do! I am a fiercely competitive person in all areas of my life and have to constantly remind myself that life, motherhood and marriage are not really considered competitions. It's all around us all the time, we let the outside world affect our decisions and life. Am I trying to win the approval of men (or women)? It was a great reminder to get my head back in the game and remember who's team I'm on and who I'm working for.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Does that mean you're forfeiting? Sweet! I win! :)
Thanks for coming over...it was great to talk to someone who was taller than my knees.

Janice said...

That is a great reminder for all of us who strive to live for the Lord (and those who dont as well, but should). Thank you!