Monday, April 13, 2009

Love Dare, take two...

Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Eph. 4:2
Last night after the Easter sugar high and cranky kids from traveling were put to bed.....after an hour of high pitched wailing and screaming for no apparent reason....Lonnie and I finally got to watch the movie Fireproof. I highly recommend it for any couple, it was wonderful and much needed. It really spoke to both of us on the need for work in our marriage. I can't speak for Lonnie but I feel like we had gotten so lazy and settled into a stagnant place. Where comfort is well...comfortable and pleasing and loving the other person might just be too much work. We had begun to put everything besides our marriage first and it was taking a toll. Work, kids, other activities and commitments have begun to pull at us from all angles and we have been ignoring the signs to get our butts in gear. In God's eyes, a marriage is forever and is worth fighting for, so even if we aren't on tumultuous waters, we will continue to fight no matter what. So we are going to do the Love Dare book (http://www.fireproofmymarriage.com/ and http://www.lovedarebook.com/ ) for the second time and stick with it. It will be tough for me becase I am a, "skimmer" when I read unless it's a really good book (remember I don't follow directions well ) so hopefully this will keep my attention long enough to really work at it and keep my heart in it. Here is my favorite line from day one's dare: Love will inspire you to be a more patient person. When you choose to be patient, you respond in a positive way to a negative situation. You are slow to anger. You choose to have a long fuse instead of a quick temper. Rather than being restless and demanding, love helps you settle down and begin to extend mercy to those around you. Patience brings an internal calm during an external storm.
I'm fairly certain Lonnie has had to use the words, "settle down" more than once a day to me. So here is to being patient and settling down! Here are the lyrics to Warren Barfield's Love is Not a Fight.
Lock the door behind you, throw away the key.
Work it out together, let it bring us to our knees.
Love is a shelter, in a raging storm.
Love is peace in the middle of a war.
If we try to leave, may God send angels to guard the door.
No, love is not a fight but it's something worth fighting for.
Easter was a blur. Photos coming soon. Brody has entered the fling yourself on the floor and scream bloody murder if we don't get our way stage. I'm not sure how I handled it with Baylor, but it's making my blood pressure raise.

4 comments:

Janice said...

I just free'd our book today from a pile of "stuff" today. Hoping to start on it. Maybe you should get the Love Dare Cards, that might be more your style.

Jill Kapfer said...

We got the book for Christmas...haven't read it yet though. We need to though because we are in the same boat. Life is just draining us and marriage is the last thing on our minds. All I can really think about is making it through the day!

Crazy Mom said...

I've heard good things about the movie, but I'm pretty sure my husband would not be a gamer for the book version. He sticks to sport pages. I'm reading "The 5 Love Languages" right now and finding that helpful and insightful, as we have very different love languages. Maybe check that one out...

Crazy Mom said...

http://www.fivelovelanguages.com/forcouples.html