Thursday, May 7, 2009

I'll have what she's having

I've encountered a problem with the way my children eat.  I've been well aware that both of my chillins are amongst the pickiest eaters ON THE PLANET.  In fact, I'm not quite sure how they gain any weight when the have two grapes, a bite of cheese and a swig of milk and call it a meal.  I wish I could eat like that and be full.... or design a diet plan called, " The two grapes and I'm full Diet." I'd be rich.  I did a little research in this department, and determined that it doesn't matter what is on their plate....it's what's on MY plate.  I could be eating the VERY SAME THING, but somehow it is not quite as appetizing and delicious as what is in my bowl.  Take for example last night for dinner, I made this sweet southwestern chicken pie (which I'll post the recipe because it rocks) and neither boy would touch it with a ten foot pole.  Baylor thought the black beans were some sort of insect.  Weird.  Today at lunch I warmed up a plate for me and both boys insisted on sharing and asking me for, "bite please"  I also made them a nice pb and J sandwich and all they wanted was the turkey out of my sandwich.   So tonight for dinner, I will eat a big bowl of green beans or salad and see if my experiment works.  

Here's the recipe (via Berkley) I tweaked it a tad and it's not necessarily low fat, but who cares because it rocks.  
Southwest Chicken Pie
2 refrigerated pie crusts
1 pkg shredded Colby cheese
1 sm container sour cream
1 can black beans rinsed and drained
1 can whole kernel corn
1 small can chopped black olives
1 C. instant rice
2-3 cooked chicken breasts (seasoned if you want) cut up in chunks or shredded
1 egg beaten (for the top of the crust...NOT to go inside the pie)
Salt/pepper/garlic powder/parsley/cumin to taste (I hate measuring so I have no idea how much I put in) 

Heat oven to 400.  Place one pie crust on bottom of springform pan or very deep pie dish.  Mix all the goodies (minus the egg) in a bowl and then pour into pie crust.  Cover with second pie crust and cut a few slits on the top to vent. Brush with egg.  Cook for about 30 minutes or until crust is brown.  Mmmmm good.  Even better the second day...and the third. 

2 comments:

Kim said...

It's not just at your house. I usually refuse to share unless it's something really healthy for them. I haven't been able to eat a strawberry in piece in almost 2 years.

Jill Kapfer said...

Abbie doesn't like to eat either. I have resorted to making her eat for breakfast whatever she refused to eat for dinner. If she doesn't eat it for breakfast, she gets it for dinner. Amazingly enough, it's working!