Friday, June 5, 2009

Flashback Friday


Now you may not laugh...okay, fine. Laugh. I'll give you 14 seconds to laugh and get it over with. You can laugh at my freakishly curly hair and permed bangs or my blue spandex shorts or even the fact that I am wearing a cowboy hat...but you may not laugh at my body cast. That's right. BODY CAST. Six months in a full body cast isn't fun for anyone. I won this trophy at a horse show, not sure how because I obviously couldn't ride a horse....or sit down for that matter.
I have so much to be thankful for though. 18 years ago in May, I had major back surgery to repair a condition called spondelothesis, which meant I had six lumbar when you are only supposed to have five. The sixth lower lumbar was just floating around and it would cut off the nerves to my legs, leaving me in a heap on the ground. They took chips from my hip and fused the lumbar together. My parents thought I was joking at first, because we all know how kids make up cool stories. They finally took me in and the Dr. said I might be in a wheelchair for the rest of my life. They have made many advances in technology and I'm sure people don't wear entire body casts that give them square boobs at 11. Yes, square boobs....don't ask, but it was traumatic. I am very blessed to be able to walk without pain, to have competed in two sports in college and continue running now. God is good.
I also have a friend who reads this blog (hey Jordan!) who at about the same time, went through major back surgery too! She had a rod put in her spine though, so don't mess with her :) We got to experience some major pain at an early age, but have recovered and even had a few babies in the process!
So be thankful for the little things like being able to walk, run and not have square boobs when you were 11.

Have a delightful weekend, we're supposed to get rain, but I can live with that. It will make my tomatoes grow!

2 comments:

Jordan and Malcolm Granado said...

Ahh, the back surgeries, you are right God is good and has brought us through alot in life since then!! Although, square boobs? Maybe I didn't have any boobs at my time cuase I never had that : )

Janice said...

We were just down in the basement seeing Stu on Wednesday.