Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Like pulling teeth!

There are three things in my children's lives that are equatable to pulling teeth....and they are:

1. Wearing clothes...pants, shorts, shirts, socks, underwear...you name it, it sucks.
2. Sitting in their chair for the ENTIRE meal without getting up.
3. Dressing oneself (this only applies to the almost 4 year old who STILL refuses to dress himself and probably has something to do with numero uno...being naked all the time)

I'm not sure what it is with boys and nudity, but I don't hear stories of naked girls running around the house, standing in the middle of the yard waving at random cars or screaming like death when asked to put clothes on. Anyone with young girls want to reassure me that my children are perfectly normal, now is your chance.

I am also up for any and all suggestions about sitting at dinner. I've tried bribery, threatening and duct tape, none of which have worked. I would someday in the next 10 years like to take my children to eat at a public place and would prefer not chasing them down the isle or picking up grapes catapulted across the floor.

And on good days, they combine all THREE of these lovelies. We call that naked dinner time (Don't worry, only the children participate in these activity) So I guess I will continue with raising two nudists with ADD.


6 comments:

Crazy Mom said...

Ummm...Nate hates certain types of clothing and physically can not sit anywhere for long...thus he is now in Occupational therapy. Although, for sitting at dinner, I did find a Sisel seat to be effective. I know it sounds BAD, but just experiment and see what happens if the t.v. is on during dinner. T.v. during meals helps Nate (I refuse during dinner) because then he has a visual stimuli to focus on blah blah blah.

I feel your pain. And for the record, I know LOTS of girls who run around naked. My girlfriend's daughter told her she "moves better when she's naked". Hmmmmm

Good luck!

Crazy Mom said...

http://www.sisseluk.com/model/uk/en/c-balance/s-sitfit/624_sissela_sitfita_33cm_red.php

Dawn said...

Reegan was always naked, she used to take her clothes off at other people's houses.

Can't help on the sitting.

Janice said...

I had a girl strip down in the nursery a couple weeks ago at church.
Maybe if they get up tell them they are done and no more food, easier said than done though. I have some wiggle pants that have eventually just grown out of it. But hard for them to understand they have to stay seated when mom(or dad) is always getting up to get something.

Jill Kapfer said...

I used to be a stickler on sitting for dinner and then decided that if I got her to sit for 5-10 minutes, that was sufficient. I have yet to see a teenager running around the house during dinner. I think it comes with age. Now, if she tries to get down before even eating or prior to the 5 minute mark, she gets a choice: sit with us or go to her room and sit by herself until she's ready to come try again. Works pretty well.

Oh...my dad has all of his pictures posted. I just need to get the website emailed out. I'll do it soon, I promise!

lovedlikethechurch said...

Came across your blog and love it! :)

My 20-month old daughter is a total nudist. If we'd let her, she'd go naked all the time. In fact, just this morning, getting her dressed nearly resulted in world war 3.

As for the sitting thing, we have friends whose parents would tie them to the chair. Maybe a tad primitive, but it worked!

-Sarah