Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Sticks and shells and homemade bread

Such a serious look for such a serious little dude. He was on a mission. A mission to seek and destroy anything in his path. Doesn't matter where he may find himself....a beach, a forest or my kitchen, he is the ultimate destroyer of all things.
We're also training the kids for their debut in the circus. What this photo doesn't show is the double front flip that he did (and landed of course) I'd give it a 9.6, the landing was a little shaky.
Why would you want to play in the sand or jump off rocks when you can sit in the front seat of the car and put on chapstick. Mmmmmm chapstick. I was waiting for him to rub it in his hair.
Instead, he decided to attack me with a pen.
Do these jeans make my butt look big?
Okay, so today was adventures in hiking, starring Baylor and Brody and yours truly. We headed out to the Pal (Palisades Kepler State Park) and hiked on a few trails and then walked along the shore to find sea shells (or more like clam shells) Baylor could hardly contain himself with jubilation over finding such precious objects.
And then there's this punk, where everything becomes a weapon. He lagged behind, trying to throw every single pebble into the Cedar River. We finally grabbed him at pebble number 579. He could have stayed there all day, but I was rather freaked out by the fast moving current. I have a huge fear of fast moving water and my children falling into it.
I think we might be moving on past the, "kiss your brother" stage. This smooch looks a little posed and slightly juicy.
This would make for a great senior photo shot...minus the cheesy grin. He's still cute regardless.
Clearly Brody is trying to tell his brother something very important...like the meaning of life.....or the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow. Baylor obviously has other things on his mind...like why his mother made him wear red tennis shoes.


oh, I almost forgot the homemade bread. I made...okay, Bri (my awesome sister in law) helped me make this artisan bread. You make a starter batch and then go from there. It was pretty simple and my first loaf was yummy but slightly undercooked. You can keep the dough in the fridge and use it for up to four days. I made mine with whole wheat flour and it filled the house with a wonderful aroma. Bri is visiting us for a few weeks, driving to Shreveport, LA to find a house and taking my mom with her. I'm totally jealous of their road trip, but I'm sure they'll have a blast. Kort and Bri are moving to Louisiana very shortly. They have to find a house in about two days...best of luck!

2 comments:

MamaMiller said...

That last photo is precious. It will show up in one of those tear jerking slide shows of your children in about 20 years when they have moved out and you are reminiscing about the good 'ol days :)

laura b. said...

Hiking sounds like so much fun!