Monday, August 17, 2009

A recipe for contentment

I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength. Phil 4:10-13

We all know the last part of this verse, but it's the first part of the verse that really convicted me today. I've never really read it, only skimmed it to get the the "I can do all things..." part. There are numerous times during the day when I see something, hear something, read something or dream of something that I don't have. I just need to stop with the silliness of wanting and REJOICE in the Lord for what he has given me. We have so many blessings, health, family, a roof over our head and a car to get where we want to go. Even if we didn't have those things, we still need to be content with what we have. Just think of all the time we waste wanting and lusting over things we should not and do not need. Don't get me wrong, I love to dream and look and plan what my dream bathroom would look like (claw foot bathtub, big window, fluffy towels...) but it's when we caught up in the dreaming and planning and don't focus on what we have that gets us into trouble. Whether in plenty or in want and I'm fairly certain a lot of us know what it feels like to experience both of those. So this is what I will be working on not only for the week, but for a lifetime of being content with what God has given me!

No comments: