Wednesday, August 12, 2009

When nature calls

Or when nature screams....IT'S RAINING! Brody was obviously annoyed (and naked of course) that he could not play outside.

Raising boys I have mentally prepared myself for the onslaught of wild animals that will find refuge in our house. I can do most animals, reptiles and bugs....except snakes. The latest addition to our family, for a day anyways, is James. Baylor names all of his animals James by the way. James is a big fat toad that he grabbed when leaving Grandma's house on Sunday. We shoved him in a sippy cup for the ride home, sorry James. Brody hasn't really warmed up enough to the idea of touching hopping squirmy things yet, but he'll come around. James found himself in a Gatorade cooler for the night and then it was straight outside. I tried threatening Baylor with the removal of mister toad if he got out of bed. It didn't work. James escaped in the yard later that day.
They are removing the second of the very old, rotting but beautiful trees in front of our house. We had a knock on the door this morning and the tree cutting lady had found a tree frog and our neighbor thought Baylor would like it. She was right. The kid was amazed and in awe of this sticky little grey frog....who he named James of course. James made it through lunch time and we made a nice home for him where we thought he couldn't escape. Thought being the key word here folks. Nothing like coming downstairs and realizing James the sticky tree frog is loose in your house. Never fear, after a panicked search he was recovered...only to be barely alive. Believe me, tree frog death bringeth big tears and drama. This kid loves his animals! As of this afternoon, after a sad tree frog funeral, we are amphibian free. I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before another animal makes it way into our house.

Like this animal.....
That's how I feel too when someone hands me TWO cookie dough filled beaters. Pure joy.

4 comments:

Kim said...

We usually have some big toads in our garden...I could send one your way next time I see it if you'd like. :)

laura b. said...

I love Brody's screaming/laughing in the video.

Jill Kapfer said...

I love the tanned body and white butt...he's gonna kill you for that someday!

You are such a good mom, no way I would ever let my kids near a frog. We used to have them on our front porch b/c we lived by a pond and anytime they were out, I made the kids stay inside. Now Abbie constantly reminds me that I am afraid of frogs! :)

Janice said...

Oh yeah, toads are a big thing at our house too. They like to live in the sandbox, the kids love it!