Friday, October 23, 2009

Pink eye, stink eye

So we have managed to avoid swine flu (for this week at least!) and after bathing my children in sanitizer before, after and during any trips outside the house, I am the one who ended up with some cool funk. I have pink eye in not one, but both of my eyes. I thought it was inevitable last night at band when I kept blinking goo from my eyes trying to read the music. I woke up this morning caked shut, swollen and looking like I had just smoked the ganja with Bob Marley. Duuuuuuuuuddddeeeee. It's not a big deal at all, in fact I would rather have this all winter than any other illness. Despite my freakish appearance and lack of makeup, my friend and I decided that we needed to get out of the house and braved taking the boys out for breakfast at Na-Nanold's (McDonalds) Two tantrums, one lost boot, a thrown salt shaker and a table dance later....I was kicking myself in the head. That's right! How could I forget...I wasn't going to take Brody in public until he's 25. Apparently the pink eye had settled into my brain cells because I thought a short jaunt to Goodwill to drop off some junk and pick more up, would be a marvelous idea. In the first seconds I had lost both children amongst the racks of clothing but managed to find them because I followed the trail of boots (Brody's boots were tad on the loose side) I found a bunch of great art ideas (frames are half off today, wahoo!) and a sweet desk that would look great painted, but couldn't stay in the store long enough to even check out the price. *Sigh* someday.

Now don't get me wrong. I know what you're thinking. This lady can't even handle two children. Oh, I can handle them just fine and they bring my joy every day. The only issue I have is that they need to learn how to behave in public and need to be disciplined when they disobey in these public places....and the hard part is actually following through with that when we're in public. This is why I think I'm just going to stay in my house until they turn 25. Besides, this blog wouldn't be any fun if my children wore clothes, didn't like getting dirty or behaved perfectly. They have kept my dream of writing a book about raising two monkeys in captivity alive and well.

It's been raining for two days straight here. We had a few beautiful days where we spent every second we could outside raking leaves, then the rain came. Yesterday we had a pajama party and watched movies (found a bunch of new Disney videos at the library for .25 each! Yes, we still have a VCR) Right now Baylor seems to be stuck on Dumbo and The Wizard of Oz and Brody has taken a liking to A Bug's Life and Mary Poppins. We also had a manly tea party.....with the emphasis on manly. Today is game and tent in the living room day.


4 comments:

laura b. said...

We spent a ton of time outside too before this rain came. I already miss being outside.

Jill Kapfer said...

My kids enjoy tantrums in public places as well. Every time I can feel my heart rate pick up and I think I'm going to have panic attack. And then I wonder how I am going to have the energy to deal with the fit, get out of the store, and get the kids into the car and home. Needless to say, I never learn my lesson either and we continue to go out!

Sorry about the pink eye. I am also living in fear of h1n1. I'm not really afraid of anything bad happening if I get it, I know I'll be fine, but I hear that it is a week of pure torture and I don't think that sounds like fun!

Kim said...

You are an insanely brave woman to take 2 kids into Goodwill! I'm a chicken and haven't been able to go since...well, since I went with you.

Andrea G. said...

Hope your eyes are better soon! If it makes you feel better I had to take Elizabeth to the bathroom twice to spank her the other night at Perkins and it was only older people and really quiet. She was screaming the whole way there, in the bathroom, and the way back. And then continued to misbehave and we had to do it all over again. HONESTLY, EVERYONE was watching us!! Some wise waitress literally had us in the back corner, but the FURTHEST from the bathroom! However, I will say that she did GREAT after those two battles and I was very thankful I followed through each time and I think we made a break through.

One 4th of July night when David was 2 I honestly took him back 5 times and spanked at Boston's!! We were there with a large party and the food was taking forever, but still! After that, restaurant behavior was great!

Still wonder why we put ourselves in the situation to start with though sometimes!!!