Monday, November 23, 2009

Keeping up with the Joneses

What is good for some, may not be good for another. As hard as I try to ignore the comments, there is always talk and the question of when we will be adding to our family. "oh, it's about time for you to have another isn't it? " The subject of procreation has been on my mind constantly and I can't seem to shake it. There are moments when I long to hold another baby in my arms and then there are moments when I want to lock myself in the bathroom and change my name from mommy to Achmididijadahoo. We seem to kick the idea around almost daily and review our financial situation, car situation and sanity.
I've prayed for a peace about a decision weather or not to add to our family but what I really want is a clear sign from God...maybe a post-it note with a yes or no on it? Maybe an email? Why does going from one to two seem so easy but two to three crazy hard?
I know children are a blessing from God and I count my blessings every day. I also know that I may not be able to handle one more. I want to focus my time and energy on the two blessings that God has already blessed me with. My only fear is to feel regret when both of my boys have left the house and we look at each other and wish we had another child.
Some families choose no children, others one or two or even nine. I have to realize that making babies isn't a contest and realize what is best for our family. I am thankful that I can have children and I don't take that gift for granted. That's not to say that we won't change our minds in a few months when Brody decides to stop licking shopping cart handles and streaking. I know God has a way of letting his will be known and a peace soon to follow. You know the saying, "walk by faith, not by sight?" It just goes to prove if we walked by sight we would be done for sure.....and so is anyone who meets Brody the energizer bunny. The door is not closed for good, but I am enjoying the time I have with my two boys.

6 comments:

ms. fidget said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
laura b. said...

:)

Jill Kapfer said...

I agree, definitely a hard decision to make. You're still young, your kids are still young so there's plenty of time for more kids. Remember, God's in control, which is a good thing!

Janice said...

My thoughts were the same as Jill's you are plenty young yet. I didnt have my 3rd until I was 30.
But the questions dont go away when you go past the "average" mark. Then people think it is ok to ask you things like: Dont you know what causes that? (kinda personal) and: Are you trying to keep up with your sister? (not a race) or people will feel like it is also ok to tell you that there are ways tpo prevent it. I have always wanted to ask them which one of their kids would they have prevented, but that would be just as rude.

Crazy Mom said...

My favorite comment is "oh, you got your girl". As if I was trying when I had a teething 5 month old to deliberately have a girl. Trying my butt...she just showed up and joined us for the ride. And maybe that 3rd kid doesn't throw everyone into the crazy loop, just those of us with babies 13 months apart, but it sent me into a crazy place. Crazy crazy crazy.....I still haven't figured out how to get out of here.......:-)

Crazy Mom said...

PS: I happen to know the Joneses. They go to my church. They don'thave kids yet...in fact they're getting married this weekend.