Monday, November 2, 2009

Testes, testes one two...

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.
James 1:2-3

If you have been following this blog or know our family, you know that there is an unwritten rule that when my husband is gone that one or more people in the family will fall ill. Lonnie left Sunday and is gone recruiting until Tuesday and as to be expected, Brody man is ill to say the least. I don't know how single mothers do it, but I am glad we don't have to deal with this too often. Bear with me as I tell you the story of our Great Testicular Adventure.

It all started with Brody's second cold in three weeks, snot coming out of everywhere and lots of coughing. Brody has viral asthma so whenever he gets a cold or virus it goes right to his breathing apparatuses. We spent Saturday morning in the Dr's office getting a shot of steroids to help with his croup after being up all night coughing his little lungs out. Sunday he spiked a fever and had chills so I automatically freaked out thinking swine flu or pneumonia....or swine pneumonia. We spent the night at my parents house just in case I had to take him to the ER to get another steroid shot. I'm not sure if it was the daylight savings (which sucks by the way) or a new bed, but nobody got any sleep and my kids were rearing to go at 4:45am....and I was not. Still feverish and wheezing at this point I'm using my webmd license to diagnose a few things and figured I should leave this to the professionals? Call Dr's office and get an appointment. In the meantime I go to change Brody's diaper and we have been having issues with him not wanting us to wipe him (sorry TMI) and crying. I thought it was a "dude, this wipe is too cold" issue or a terrible two issue, but I was mistaken.
(I'm sure he'll thank me for this later when he's engaged and I show it to his future wife) I see that his testicles (not a big fan of that word, but for this marvelous saga's sake I'll suck it up) are swollen up like ping pong balls. Hmmmmm, ping pong balls......this can't be normal (I am also not up to date in my testicular sizing)....and he wouldn't let me come near them with a ten foot pole. Now touching my son's man parts isn't what I call fun, but I had to make sure he was okay. So in the name of medicine I did a little maneuvering of the family jewels. He writhed in pain and so after a quick phone call and finding an amazing neighbor to drop Baylor off with, we high tailed it to the ER.
We get to the ER and with one mention of the evil word, "fever" the 89 year old check in dude hands me a child size mask. I actually laughed out loud...he did not find this amusing. No way is my kid keeping that on. I tried. I tried and tried and decided that rather than fighting, we'd hide far far away where no one could see or hear us. So we stared outside at the parked helicopter. After explaining to four different people that he was wheezy, had a fever and had testicles the size of marshmallows he was then subject to crazy tests to see what was wrong. A chest x-ray (negative) ultrasound and catheter (try to get a two year old to pee on command...ha!) later, we have 1. Upper respiratory infection, hence the wheezing, coughing and sputtering and 2. Hydrocele in both testicles. I know...that's what I said at first too. Hydo wha? To get a full detailed description of this click here. I ain't no doctor, but apparently the Internet has a medical licence. Basically lots of fluid in his little testes that causes uncomfortable feelings and pain. They think it may be caused by a hernia and we have an appointment with the urologist on Thursday. He was a trooper and kept his humor by announcing loudly to the nurse that he just made a bubble with his nose and was the first child to ever laugh while being squeezed by a plastic tube for a chest x-ray. That's my Brody!

It was a long day but I am so blessed to have such amazing friends who brought me a pizza, cookies, watched Baylor and called to see how we were holding up. Keep little Brody man in your prayers.

3 comments:

Andrea G. said...

Oh Keri! First, I hear you on the time change... this one is AWFUL for early mornings!!! Second, I think Brody has a high pain tolerance. He seems to go through a lot and takes it in stride, like laughing in the ER, despite all the pain I am sure! Third, true faithful friends are such a blessing! I will be praying for the Dr. appointment on Tuesday!

Jill Kapfer said...

Um...ouch. Poor little man and those chest x-rays where they put them in the tubes are horrible. Jonah has had more chest x-rays than I can count and the ones in the tubes are the worst. Keep us updated!

Crazy Mom said...

Is it "testicles" or "testes"? I think 'testicle" is an okay word..."testes" is right up there with (oh yah, I'm gonna write it...wait for it...wait...wait) MOIST. Testicle is kind of a fun word to say, like "Naked" (which, incidentally is a fun gesture in sign language to make). Testes is like MOIST and SLACKS and BLOUSE and MEAT. Or the worst...MOIST MEAT. Yuck!