Monday, December 14, 2009

My next project....

Call me crazy but I have a deep hatred for carpet. Especially dog worn kid tested nasty nasty carpet. So I pulled it out. I also have a bad habit of just starting projects on a whim.....like within five minutes of thinking of them. This time, I was pleasantly surprised at the shape the stairs were in. There was hard wood going all the way up. See all of those little nubs? Those my friends are staples. Lots and lots and lots of staples. They are also the reason why my hands are bleeding. The goal is simple 1. New paint for the living room and going up the stairs and 2. Either paint the stairs black and white (trust me on this) or rob a bank and get carpet again. The upstairs really needs new carpet because there is just a nice plywood sub floor in both bedrooms. If we happen to get carpet, the dogs will be banned from any carpeted room in the house. I did some measuring and we aren't looking at too much square footage, so maybe Santa will bring carpet to my house? Nothing fancy, just tough and stain resistant. The first step is to remove all 1,254 staples and tack strips....but not during nap time. Here is a photo of black and white painted stairs to give you an idea of what they look like. Loud, yes? Still better than carpet though. We'll see how long this project will take. Another goal is to get Lonnie a nice comfy couch to sleep on. Since he currently sleeps downstairs due to his amazingly loud snoring. Don't worry, our marriage is fine, we just can't sleep together right now or we will have to very grumpy people in the morning. I feel awful for him now though, he is sleeping on this very very old green couch that is probably from the 60's. It's so uncomfortable and it's hurting his back. I offer the bed to him and offer to wear earplugs (which don't work by the way) and he still sacrifices his sleep for me by sleeping on the couch. What a man. He deserves a nice couch. As my list of to-do's and dreams of new carpet, a couch and working dishwasher seem unattainable and unrealistic, I have to bring myself down to earth and remember that we can do one thing at a time. Rome wasn't built in a day.
The snow was sticky enough to make this masterpiece in the front yard. Baylor keeps threatening to jump on it and I keep threatening to jump on him. His name is Rex.


3 comments:

Crazy Mom said...

My dad installs carpet on the side. I can ask him for ideas on how to get rid of those staples. I'm pretty sure there are special carpet tools for that.....

Jill Kapfer said...

Zach sleeps on the couch too! I was to the point where I never wanted to speak to him again as a result of me getting zero sleep due to his snoring. Seriously...I never knew it was humanly possible to snore that loudly. Geepers! :)

Lindsay said...

Personally, I'm a fan of the black painted stairs...