Tuesday, January 19, 2010

*Sigh*

Dear Jesus,
Thank you for keeping the pukies away from the rest of the family so far. You rock. Let's keep it that way, deal?
Love,
Me


I've always had a special place in my heart for old hymns. I miss the days where we used to sing along at church, when the pastor said, "Open your hymnals to page 356." Where there were no drums or praise bands (but oh how I love praise bands!) just a piano or an organ and Aunt Maude singing so off key in the pew behind you. If you've ever actually read through the hymns and looked at some of the words, they are truly beautiful. I have been so inspired by them that I am using a lot of them in my art. They are works of art in themselves. Here are some of my favorites.

Be Thou My Vision:
Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

Amazing Grace:
The earth shall soon dissolve like snow,
The sun forbear to shine;
But God, Who called me here below,
Will be forever mine.

His Eye is On the Sparrow:
I sing because I’m happy,
I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me

I surrender All:
All to Jesus, I surrender
Humbly at his feet I bow,
Worldly pleasures all forsaken
Take me Jesus, take me now

I want someone to sing this at my funeral when I die...and since we're on that subject, I want a party. I don't want crying, I want a party. With balloons, good music and a chocolate fountain. I kid you not.

I hope you can take away something from these hymns, even if it's small! Thanks for your continued prayers for the healthy of our family, they are much appreciated!

2 comments:

Brigitte and Ben Johnson said...

I love hymns too, especially from the Mennonite Hymnal. A few favorites are "Gott ist die Liebe" ("For God So Loved Us") and "Lift Your Glad Voices." Now if only I can sing...

-Brigitte

Stacia said...

A favorite of mine is "It is Well, With My Soul." It has an amazing story behind it, but I also love it because we sang it in Russia along with Russians. None of us knew each others language; we'd been working side by side for several days without being able to communicate. Then at lunch one day (in a small cement block room...great accoustics), the Russian men began to sing a familiar tune. We joined in and everyone's faces began to glow. It was truly a glimpse of what's to come! Love it!