Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Greatest Love of all

It's that time of year again. That sappy over commercialized holiday looming over our heads where husbands scramble to throw together the, "perfect" gift while secretly hoping that their gift will be some time beneath the sheets. Where wives have carefully thought out their husbands gifts months in advance and crafted a meaningful love letter to the one they love while secretly hoping their gift will be a massage. The time of year where love is in the air and little red hearts float all around. It really got me thinking about love and the greatest love that could possibly be shown to all of mankind. I can't even begin to wrap my head around it sometimes. A love that gives us complete comfort and hope in a world that has very little. Not the kind of hope that a certain leader has plastered all over his campaign but the biblical hope that is firm assurance and a certainty that what He has promised will be fulfilled even if the reality has yet to be seen.
Now back to this love thing. I have been studying the book of John and a seemingly simple verse hold such immeasurable meaning, "As I have loved you, so you must love one another." We say to ourselves, sure I got it...God wants us to love, check that off my list...I'm a lover not a hater. Are we really loving the way God wants us to? A principal in our study this week was that Christian's love for one another proves that they belong to Jesus. How do we show love for others? Is our love to the point of personal cost? Is it sacrificial, a choice and not an impulse of feelings? Is the love we show to others observable by others and seen by the actions it prompts? So many ways to show we love someone but we must check our motives. I often have to check mine in terms of service and of love. Am I really serving this person to get something out of it or am I doing it because I truly love them and want to help.
Showing the type of love to others that Christ showed us will not gain us favor in the world's eyes, in fact they will probably hate us but the love we show will be comfort. So in this week of mass produced love and fake sentiments I hope you can really show someone...anyone...the true love that Christ has shown us. Whether it be by a humble act of service or a kind word, let them see Christ through your love. Maybe it's to your children, your first born who is strong willed but needs your love more than anything. It could be the lady in the drive through who has had a rough day and just needs a smile and a kind word or the mom down the street who is overwhelmed with life. Showing that kind of love may seem daunting at first but think of the outcome and your heart may just smile.

4 comments:

Janice said...

Thank you! Very well written, Love it!
I personally would much rather get something out of the blue than when the calendar or society says I am to get something. Seems to have much more thought in place that way.

Crazy Mom said...

I'm trying to get a sitter to come so I can take the Beer Snob to a tasting at Binny's. Forget candy and hearts and flowers....beer? Now That's love.

Andrea G. said...

Sweet post friend!

Stacy said...

ah, so true! I'm thinking that when I'm not feeling the love that I should, I need to pray for God to supply it. I think this is something that when asked in Jesus' name (with all that that means), He would delight in providing. I liked the thought, too, that it is a choice, not a feeling or emotion. Love is not meant for what I can get out of it but what I can give. I think that's the part where I struggle the most - getting my thoughts off myself and focusing on others. Thanks for sharing!