Tuesday, February 23, 2010

No one said parenting was easy

Yesterday I sent both boys upstairs for their nap/quiet time and after a few moments of silence, I heard thumping and giggling and happy laughter. My first instinct was to run upstairs and discipline them for coming out of their rooms and for not being quiet during quiet time, but then I realized that 1. They were playing together and not killing each other (this doesn't happen very often) and 2. I was enjoying the hour of silence down stairs even if they weren't sleeping. So I left them to play together and laugh while I got laundry done and finished the dusting. When the timer went off they both ran downstairs laughing and Brody had this (see photo) on his head. I got the impression that he was trying to be a super hero and that was his helmet.....a pull-up....whatever floats your boat.

Today however is a much different story. Both of them are screaming at the top of their lungs, crying for daddy (Why am I always the bad guy!!!) I set Baylor's one hour timer and it went off after 30 minutes. I went upstairs and asked him why he had touched it and he lied to me. I then gave him one more chance to come clean and he lied again. It just breaks my heart to know that he is lying and have to punish him for it, but if we don't catch it now it will be worse when he's older. This (along with crying when we drop him off ) seems to be a growing problem with Baylor. We try to teach him to have a repentant heart and ask for forgiveness after he is punished for doing something naughty but it's a hard concept to grasp. I sometimes find that I can't often wrap my head around it. The other day he yelled down from his room, "MOOOOM, I FORGIVE YOU!!!" Which made me giggle because he was the one that was supposed to be asking for forgiveness after tackling his brother to the ground for no good reason at all.
My mom once said to me that I only have six short years before Baylor will be in preschool and that is the time to shape and mold him to be a child of God, honest, respectful, loving and caring. I often feel that I'm not always up to par on my part but then I see how far he has come. So I cherish the time I have to shape and mold him while he is young and doesn't have a lot of the influences around him that he will when he is older. Even though some days I just want to throw in the towel!

On a happy note, I just purchased (with saved art money!) a new to me road bike to use in a triathlon this summer. There is no backing out now! I'm going to have to get used to it as I am used to a mountain bike, but I think I'm really going to like it. Now if I could only find a place to swim we'd be in good shape.

A few Baylor and Brody updates:
Baylor is....
1. Really liking reading and writing (sometimes) and practices his name at preschool (there is no way mom can make him do it unless it involves bribery)
2. Knows quite a few body parts and is very interested in how the body works. He has also informed us that he wants to be a zoo keeper and wants to live in a barn when, "this house gets too old." Hate to break it to you kid, but this house IS too old.
3. Is our fruit dude. He ate a half of cantaloupe, banana, orange and apple all in one day. Lets just say he is very, "regular."
4. Is also very manipulative and sly when it comes to most things. He knows what he wants and will use any tactic to get it. For example, when Brody has a toy he wants he asks to, "show him how it works or count it for him." and then proceeds to confiscate it from Brody.
5. Grew overnight. I swear. He has grown out of all his 4T pants and is now in 5T or 5/6 clothes. Where has my little boy gone? His feet are huge too, almost a size 12.5!

Brody is....
1. Learning his letters and numbers and can count to 20. We are convinced that he is color blind though.
2. Loves to color and build and is very very detailed. He might just be our engineer or architect of the family.
3. Still can't be taken in public places very often, but he is only 2.5 and will hopefully grow out of this running away/tantrum throwing stage quickly.....hopefully!
4. Sticks mostly to two food groups 1. Mac and Cheese and 2. Pizza. Along with being an engineer, he will be a line backer as well.
5. Is still a midget. He is a 3T, but those drag on the ground sometimes. He's holding steady at 30 lbs of solid mass.

No comments: