Monday, March 22, 2010

Early to rise

" Entering the day without a serious meeting with God, over His Word and in prayer, is like entering the battle without tending to your weapons. The human heart does not replenish itself with sleep. The body does, but not the heart....We replenish our hearts not with sleep, but with the Word of God and prayer." John Piper

Last night I went to a ladies fellowship at my church. I have to be honest, these types of gatherings usually aren't up my alley and I tried to use every excuse in the book not to go. God had other plans. I had three friends call out of the blue asking if they could pick me up and was lovingly forced to go by my husband. In my head I had pictured women sitting in a circle knitting and chatting while sipping tea.....and there was hugging....I am not a hugger. There was no way I wanted to go, or even had the desire to go. Once again, God had other plans.
There was tea sipping but no knitting. There might have been some random hugging, but I successfully avoided it. I was also deeply encouraged and blessed to be surrounded by women of all levels of faith and at different seasons in their life. The one thing that really stuck out to me, something in which I struggle with but have every desire to do so, is getting up before my family and spending time with God. After I read the, "Rise Early," my thoughts immediately went to, "Do you know how early my kids get up?! When am I going to work out? I love sleep." God makes time for me...he created me, why shouldn't I give him just a smidgen of mine? I try to set time aside during the day, but find my self being distracted or sucked into something else and not giving him my full attention. Since I also have ADD, silence and sitting still does not come easily for me.
So I set my alarm to 6 a.m, set the boys clothes out for the next day, set the coffee maker to 6:10, set my clothes out and laid my bible on the table where I couldn't just walk by. After 15 minutes of wondering what I was doing up so early, I stumbled downstairs and watched the coffee brew. It's amazing what you can accomplish before the children (and the husband) wake up. I managed to pray for my children (more on this later) family and spent time in the word, read over my bible study notes, took at a shower, unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher, put in a load of laundry, took out a load of laundry, picked up some stray toys, fed the dogs, let the dogs out, cleaned the kitchen, made the boys pancakes and checked my email....all before 7:30. It was awesome.
I am always blessed in some way or another when I wake up early to spend time with God. I have more patience with my husband and children, my attitude seems lighter and everything revolves around what I read that morning. The verses become so relevant even if I just randomly chose them. I had been using sleep as crutch and the fact that my children wake up early as an excuse. No more excuses. This is something I hope to continue and benefit from in the future. I can't encourage and suggest it more, as a perfect way to start your day.

4 comments:

Crazy Mom said...

You need to be more of a Mary and less of a Martha. That's all I'm sayin....

PS: I had church group here on Friday. Nothing says "Bible Study" like a bottle of wine and some dark chocolate m&m's.:-) Less hugging, more wine.

Andrea G. said...

So true! Love my time in the word and praying in the morning! And I (and my family) feel the difference on days I have not made that a priority in the morning! I found it helpful to have a friend text me and make sure we were both up until I got into a better habit!

jamie k said...

i'm there with ya too! andrea g and i talk about how it is such a sweet time! the past couple days i haven't because of hardly any sleep because of gorged boobs (stopped nursing) :) but i'm the same as you. Love sleep, my kids already get up early, and when can i run!? it's actually been sweet when the twins do get up and see us praying and reading the bible- then they want to do it along side us! sweet picture!

Jill Kapfer said...

How do you get your kids to sleep until 7:30? I'm jealous!

I get up at 4:30 in order to get everyone ready and get to work on time...ugh, I'm not sure I could get up any earlier. Thus one of the reasons that I do not work out. That and the fact that I really hate it! :)