Monday, May 17, 2010

Monday's Musings

This little man is into EVERYTHING. This doesn't surprise me one bit. I was scrambling around this morning going from working at the coffee house to trying to get clothes on Baylor for preschool and I hear, "Moooommmm, I'm tuck!" I did contemplate for a few seconds leaving him there until the mission at hand was completed. We are going to start operation potty in the next few weeks. I'm not looking forward to the curse of the pee pee but I am looking forward to not purchasing diapers! I think the bribe of choice will be Starburst and gum, which is much cheaper than Thomas the Train!
Like I don't have 1,234 other things to do, I decided that the bathroom downstairs needed a new paint job. It was stars and stripes (not sure what I was thinking) and now it is a nice shade of khaki green (which happened to be mis-mixed and only $4!) I love a good deal. I also get an idea in my brain and it has to be done right away. Just ask my lovely husband who has to hold me down when a creative thought enters my mind. This is probably the reason why I can't sleep at night.

I've started the morning shift at the coffee house and it was pretty awesome. I got up at 6 and got there (which is about a 200 yard walk) around 6:15 to start the cinnamon rolls (which are amazing!) Once summer gets here and Lonnie's schedule calms down a little, I'll hopefully be picking up some more hours. Like I don't have enough to do...I like to keep things interesting. I'm also contemplating which baked goods I will experiment with. I've had requests for my carrot cake already, so that is on the list.

We have also made changes in our eating habits as well. Lonnie went to the cardiologist after I forced him to get a full physical after his father passed away, just to make sure. Everything was fine except for his CRP levels were elevated. He will be seeing a cardiologist next week to make sure nothing is wrong. We are a fairly healthy family, we try very hard to feed our family healthy food but sometimes we struggle with two very picky eaters. Lonnie and I went grocery shopping together last week (yes, it was a hot date) and bought lots of heart healthy foods. Unfortunately eating healthy also means your grocery bill will sky rocket, but we feel that it's worth it. We are also trying to eliminate all high fructose crap (which is seriously harder than it sounds) and most baked goods or processed foods. I have a stash of dark chocolate hidden for the craving I get about 2:00! Most of the foods we already had, but we had to get a few extras, here is what we try to eat:

* Almonds and walnuts
* Dark leafy greens
* Lots of fresh fruits and veggies
* Almond milk
* Flax Seed
* Avocado
* Wine and dark chocolate (my two favorites)
* Salmon and other fish
* Lean turkey
* Natural peanut butter with flax seed and omega3's
* Lots of whole grain everything (crackers, bread, pasta, flour)
* Nature Valley granola bars (the only ones without high fructose corn syrup, unless you make your own, but who has the time?)
* Yogurt and skim milk cheese sticks for snacks

Lonnie has already made a comment about how the change in his diet has made him feel so much better. I'd have to agree. The boys aren't taking to it as nicely as we had hoped, but I did find a whole grain mac and cheese that they love. I didn't have to give up my coffee or chocolate, so I'm happy.

1 comment:

Crazy Mom said...

Now try going gluten or dairy free. Now THAT's a fun grocery bill. I've also started making my own hommus...it's a great snack. And I thorw in wheat germ into anything I can without anyone noticing. Nutritional yeast flakes add a little something something too.

Good thing coffee is HFCS free!