Sunday, June 13, 2010

Pruning

This week has been a crazy wild ride and more than ever I see myself falling into a bad habit of not staying in the word. I use the summer excuse of not being in a bible study and then I'll throw out the I don't have time or I'm too tired excuse, but none of them seem to have any validity. There is no excuse. I can tell and my lovely husband can tell when I just haven't been spending enough time reading my bible. I get grumpy. I get annoyed easily. I do stupid things. Kind of like me without coffee.

I was outside this evening frantically pruning the trees because the, "scaw-rey machine" as Brody calls it (or the tree shredder chipper thingy) comes tomorrow morning to pick up brush and leaves. Apparently instead of Iowa we now live in the amazon jungle where it's humid and rains all the time. With all of the rain it didn't seem like there was an opportune time to prune the trees. So I scurried around tonight with my trusty pruning shears while the neighbors watched from their front porch, wondering what the heck I was doing. As I was cutting, God was reminding me of the verses that I had studied this past year in BSF. I had neglected to remain in Him and was seeing the lack of fruit. God has been, "pruning" me lately, cutting back the things in my life that have taken over or grown out of control. Things that I constantly put before Him, so that I may grow even fuller and stronger and bear more fruit. I am also thankful for God's grace and forgiveness in times of stupidity (which happen far too often) Thankful that no matter what or where I happen to stumble, He always sets me back on track.

Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. John 15:4

No comments: