Monday, September 13, 2010

Monday's Meals: A salute to dairy free

I have a few friends that have children that aren't able to have dairy products and I don't know how they do it. I myself would possibly injure someone if I wasn't allowed to eat ice cream. I know dinner can be a pain in the rear end trying to find something the entire family can eat that doesn't have dairy. So I searched high and low to find these simple yet dairy free meals for this week. I'll have to admit it was a lot harder than I first anticipated. A lot of the recipes had strange names and sounded as if they were made for people who lived in trees and swung from branches. I did the best I could....

Monday: Granny's Meatloaf, veggies
1 1/2 lbs ground turkey or beef
1 cup bread crumbs or crushed saltine crackers
1 egg
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup steak sauce
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
Salt
pepper
diced onion flakes
Worcestershire sauce

Mix all together and place into a greased loaf pan. Top with ketchup or V8 juice and tin foil. Bake at 375 for an hour or until done in the middle.

Tuesday: White Chili
1 T. olive oil
4 chicken breasts, cooked (in olive oil) and shredded
1 onion chopped
1 1/4 cups chicken broth
1 small can diced green chilies
1/2 t. cumin
1/2 t. oregano
1 t. garlic powder
1 t cilantro
dash of cayenne pepper
1 1/2 cans white cannellini beans drained and rinsed
2 green onions chopped

Cook chicken and diced onion in olive oil, shred. Stir in chicken broth and spices. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add beans. Simmer for five minutes.

Wednesday: Fajitas
Marinade:
1 Cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup soy sauce
Lime juice
1/2 t. cumin
1/2 t, minced garlic

Place flank steak in marinade in the morning, marinate all day. Cook on medium high in olive oil until steak is done. Serve with Cooked veggies such as peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions etc. on warmed tortillas.

Thursday: Spanish Chicken
1 T. smoked paprika
1 T. flour
1 t. pepper
1 t. salt
3 lbs chicken pieces with skin and bones (thighs and breasts)
1/4 cup olive oil
15 garlic cloves peeled
1 bay leaf
1/3 C. Sherry vinegar
Chopped parsley for top
Put paprika, flour, salt, pepper in large baggie and shake to mix. Add chicken pieces to bag and toss, leave in bag for 30 minutes (in fridge). Heat oil in skillet and saute garlic for two minutes to infuse the oil. Remove garlic from skillet, add chicken and saute until skin is browned. Return garlic to skillet, turn chicken over and brown other side. Add bay leaf and sherry vinegar and bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes. Boil until chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat. Serve with veggies and mashed potatoes.

Friday: Ranch burgers and fries
1 lb ground beef or turkey
1 packet ranch dressing mix
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
2 T. minced dry onion

Add all ingredients together and form patties. Grill or cook in pan. Serve with fries (sweet potato or original) and fruit.

Saturday/Sunday: Leftover and crock pot roast

5 comments:

The Kac's said...

I'm mostly a non-dairy eater because I can't stand melty cheese or milk (weird, I know!!! I wish I liked it. It would make things easier.) Anyway, baked chicken strips, spaghetti, veggie soups, sloppy joes, pork tenderloin sandwiches and all kinds of Asian food are staples on our menu. Asian food is great for non-dairy eaters since I've read than many Asians are lactose intolerant and thus many Asian recipes have no dairy.
For Brian and the kids' sake, I like to make cheese optional dishes like tacos where the participant decides on the amount cheese. Even pizza can be done this way (yep, I leave the cheese off of mine).

Crazy Mom said...

Love it. Going to try a few, but the Ranch burgers contain ranch dressing mix (dry milk powder) and parm chz, which by the way I've found a soy variant of! Yay! Now, you have another mission. I obviously have to make my own everything. And I made a pie yesterday complete w/my own pie crust. I can't get the bottom to not get destroyed in cutting. It could be my technique for cutting, but I think it's the lack of dairy anything to hold it all together.Thoughts?

Crazy Mom said...

PS: mission 2...find some dairy free dessert options. Oreos work (disgustingly enough there is no 'cream' in the creme filling), but choc. chip cookies, or any other homemade cookies are a real pain. Grrrrr...

jamie said...

thanks friend! anna is allergic to dairy.. bummer! yeah the worst reaction was parm cheese..
it is crazy how much dairy ya actually eat!

brian said...

your recipes sounds really good, add some photos to your recipes!