Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Taking life seriously


I have a bad habit.

Okay, I have like fifty bad habits, but this one has gotten me into trouble recently.

It's nothing serious or illegal or seriously illegal.

In fact it's slightly funny.

Funny as in amusing.

Amusing, yes.

The habit? Being funny. Cracking jokes. Over
flowing with wit.

I'm not joking.

So a certain male in this household who shall remain nameless eluded to the fact that when you crack jokes all the time, no one takes you seriously. A little hurt and disheartened by the fact that one of the things I'm good at (which is making people laugh....sometimes just by looking at them) was making me less credible. I'm no stand up comic but a little wit never killed anyone. Of course I want to be taken seriously, but sometimes you just have to have a sense of humor. Especially in parenting. Yes, there are times and places for humor (note to self: not bible study, church or after someones cat has just passed away)
In fact this past week has been one of the roughest parenting weeks to date. I have a five year old who refuses to put his clothes on by himself, hit a kid at school and has serious anger issues and a three year old that runs away from me, doesn't listen and thinks peeing through the fence is cool. I wanted to run away. Mail myself to Abudaubi. Give myself a time out or maybe even put myself on bed rest. Anything to get away from having to deal with the constant arguing and battles that comes with raising two very strong willed boys. I am persevering through this rough patch with the two things people need most in life. God and a sense of humor.
I am working harder on trying to be seriously in certain situations but remembering to laugh in others. Like for example when I look out the window to a naked-from-the-waist-down-child running through the grass.

As far as super parenting goes. I am struggling to find ways to help my oldest deal with his anger. Obviously hauling off and hitting people isn't the way to go. We've tried the, use your words not your fists but end up with him just yelling at Brody in a very angry voice. I've had
many books on parenting suggested but what it really boils down to is the way we want to parent. You can only read so many self help books. I am partly to blame for his anger management skills, it's in his genes. I was a stinker. I was a wee bit of a control freak...still am. Right now all I can do is pray for Baylor and his heart, that he will learn to control his anger, his tongue and learn to do things for himself.

So in the spirit of not taking life too seriously, I leave you with this.....

1 comment:

Stacy said...

humor is good and sometimes it's the only way to survive!! :)