Sunday, January 9, 2011

A student once more

Some people believe that motherhood can disrupt your career path or set you back significantly in your professional goals.  When they ask you what you do and you simply reply, "I'm a stay at home mom," seeing their eyes glaze over as you explain yourself.  I wouldn't call it a set back, but a brief vacation from the professional world (because goodness gracious, if being a mother isn't hard work, I don't know what is)  I have been fortunate enough to be able to stay at home with my boys while they are very young.  Both Lonnie and I decided that this would be best for them even if it meant taking a significant income reduction.  Believe me, has been worth every penny scrimped and saved and every uncomfortable, "are we going to make it to the end of the month?" feeling.  My time at home is slowly coming to an end, as both boys are reaching ages in which they will be attending school full time.
I knew early on that I wanted to be a teacher, I love working with kids and seeing the potential each and every one has.  I also knew that it had to involve art somehow, because that was something that I was passionate about as well.  Becoming an art teacher was a perfect fit....plus I get my summers off! I was blessed enough to get to teach for two years before having babies.  Unfortunately, my teaching licence needs to be renewed....uh, next month....with six credit hours under my belt.  Nothing like living on the edge.  So I am currently taking a few graduate classes to receive credit and I might work towards getting my masters (even though deep down I feel that if you're a good teacher, you're a good teacher, no matter what degree you hold) It's been a delicate balancing act (I'm not quite sure how full time mothers try to be full time students, you are amazing) trying to finish papers and questions, taking care of my children and house and making art......all in one day.  I'm actually enjoying the reading material and topics covered, it makes me long to get back into the classroom someday.  It will be a hard transition to make, but one I am looking forward to when God tells me it's time and presents me with an opportunity!  It may be part time, it may be full time or it may be in a few years, but I can only trust that God has my future as an educator in His hands. I am excited for this new season of life to be approaching.  It does make me sad however, to watch my two babies grow up and start school of their own.  Where on earth did the time go!  So I am making the most of every minute (really! I have no minutes to spare!) with my children and husband.

Now it's off to write a paper.....geesh, it's been a long time since I written a paper (do blog posts count as papers?)

2 comments:

Shadley said...

You can do it! Have fun being a student again!

laura b. said...

We so need to talk because I need to get to work quickly on that same task. I don't know where to start.