Saturday, January 22, 2011

Things I learned in my twenties.....

The final days are looming. 
 Final days in my twenties. 
 An entire decade.
Adios twenties. 
Thirties here I come. 
I've learned a thing or two in my twenties. 

Just a thing or two....or twenty.  


1. Listen to your mother.  She's probably right.  Probably. 

2. Don't give a one year old a hammer and then give your mom the camera. (see photo above)

3. Men get better with age. Women just get jiggly. 

4. Life is not a competition. Motherhood is not a competition.  I'd kick your butt anyways.   

5. God's amazing grace is well, amazing.  

6.  Listen.  Don't speak. Listen. (oh, I am so bad at this!) When someone is talking, focus on what they're saying not on what you want to say next.  You'll be amazed.  

7.  Children are a gift from God. They also stretch and morph your body into something unrecognizable.  

8.  Listen to your husband. He's probably right. Probably.

9.  Eat your veggies. Even if they make you toot. 

10.  Just because the other kids are doing it, doesn't mean you have to.  

11. Quit worrying about what other people think about you.  Be you....even if that means standing up for things you know people don't agree with, wearing jeans and purple Chuck Taylor's to church or enjoying a mean lager once in a while.  

12. Don't talk politics on Facebook. People turn into idiots.  

13.  My children and husband are simply awesome. Just awesome. I am so blessed.  

14.  Marriage is hard work.  Motherhood is hard work.  Trying to balance both is hard work.  

15.  Cherish every single moment you have with your children.  Even the ones where you're crying, laughing or writhing in pain because there is a strange creature attached to your boob.  (15.5 It's okay to say boob) 

16. Sometimes you just have to suck it up.  Whining isn't attractive. Someone always has it worse than you. 

17.  Make people smile.  Whether it's paying for their coffee or saying the word boob, it's worth it.  BOOB.

18.  Don't live in a box.  Experience God's creation. Experience culture, life, music, pain and joy.  Being well rounded is one of my greatest achievements.  

19. Don't let anyone tell you how many children to have or not to have.  I believe we all know who's decision that is.  

20.  Just because you're turning thirty doesn't mean you have to grow up, grow old and get grumpy.  I'm looking forward to being fun, cool, graceful and wise (if that is possible) in my thirties.  I refuse to grow up. 

Amen.  

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Well said, Keri. I know you'll make thirties shine. I still kind of choke over the number myself, but being a month into 30, it's getting better! :)