Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The trouble with tonsils

Hey there adorable boy.

Adorable boy with a fantastic temper and impeccable timing for meltdowns.

Adorable boy with extremely enlarged tonsils and adenoids.

Adorable boy who snores just like his father.


Here's the deal.

Enlarged tonsils and adenoids leads to snoring. Snoring leads to lack of a deep sleep.  Lack of a deep sleep leads to hyperactivity (yes) and behavior problems (not all but some).  Now I'm not blaming all of Brody's behavior problems on the fact that he probably hasn't had a decent night sleep in a long time.  He is three and he is a boy.  I am convinced however that this could be part of the reason.

Although the surgery itself will only last 15 minutes, it's the week that follows that will be a test of will.  He will have to be on lots of pain medicine that has to be taken every four hours....orally.  He will thrilled that his diet will consist of  popcicles, ice cream and cold liquids for about a week.  The surgery is scheduled for June 3rd.

6 comments:

Cyd said...

oh bummer - no fun!! But if it helps with some of the battles then it sounds like the right decision! Will pray for the surgery and the week after!

Crazy Mom said...

It's not a bad surgery. Mads didn't do so well afterwards though...vomiting pain meds..not fun. But she didn't snore, she just had strep for like, 6 months and then we discovered it was a miracle she was breating at all. Watch out for the bad breath (from the cauterizing) thing tho...nasty!

Brigitte and Ben Johnson said...

Bella had both out with tubes put in at 3 years old. Sophia just had the adenoid out and tubes this past fall. Best decision we ever made in my opinion. Bella slept better and had a major growth spurt, which I attributed to the better (and deeper) sleep cycles. Sophia sleeps a whole lot better, too. Both have better eating habits. Bella was a terrible eater before because she was a mouth breather. The best is that both girls have been sick a whole lot less! I also think both behave better which I attribute to being in better health. Kids are likely to act out more when they are feeling sick all the time. Lots of popsicles and snuggle time! The recovery stage is not fun at all--we had a lot of crying the first day.

The Kac's said...

I had my tonsils and adenoids out in 1st grade and I haven't had strep since! It was the best thing my parents ever did for my health! I also had a big growth spurt after they came out. Best of luck!

Anonymous said...

Good job going after the root of the problem rather than trying to simply treat the symptoms!

Sasha

Lindsay said...

I didn't have my tonsils out until I was 17, and boy did I wish I had done it sooner! Few colds and far less allergy and breathing problems. I hope it goes well and I will be praying for you guys!