Friday, July 1, 2011

Goodbye silver bullet.....

My 30 year old clean driving record has come to a screeching halt....actually it was quite smashing. Silver Bullet is no more.  It was a sad goodbye, a rough transition, but it's looking to be a happy ending!

In the words of my almost six year old son I need to, "calm down and quit freaking out." Something in which I have mastered quite well, especially after having children.  God always ceases to amaze me and makes me wonder why I "freak out" in the first place.

Tuesday afternoon after Lonnie gets home from work, I jump in the car and head to the local hardware store to get a propane tank for our BBQ grill.  I swing by the grocery store to pick up a few random groceries and head back on the highway towards home.  It's probably the most perfect day you could ask for.....75 and sunny.  I am driving the speed limit (yes, believe it or not) not talking on the phone or breaking up a fight in the back seat (the boys were at home) and have the radio on at a reasonable level. I will not tell you what exactly I was listening to because it may involve some auto dancing as well.  I am slowing down and there is a little blue pick-up truck in front of me that slams on his breaks because the person in front of him slams on his brakes. Everything goes in slow motion as I 1. reach for the propane tank in the front seat (yes, I know dumb idea) 2. Try to swerve and miss him and 3. Instead of missing, I hit him with the left side of my car.

I sit on the side of the road trying to figure out what just happened. I'm shaking so bad I can't even get my phone out. I couldn't get out of the drivers side door because it was stuck.  There was smoke and headlight piece all over the shoulder. Needless to say I was very shaken and my car was a wee bit smashed.  A wee bit may be an understatement.  The dude in front of me was okay (not so much happy, but polite) and his bumper will need replacing.  The silver bullet on the other hand was totaled (according to the insurance adjuster) It was a sad day.

I felt horrible.
I feel horrible.

We....okay, I went into panic mode because we needed a car quickly to get down to Lonnie's sister's wedding this coming weekend.  The boys (all three of them) are in the wedding and I am there for moral support...and cake.  To make a long story short, there was no need for panic and we found a car right in our backyard.  It's the same model (we loved the Freestyle!) and not van (sorry van drivers, I still can't do it) and it has leather seats ( I was sold on the leather alone) God is good.  No need for panicking.

It could have been so much worse. I could have been hurt, the other guy could have been hurt or my children and husband could have been in the car with me.  You never know when God will call you home, make it worth it.

If I had my child to raise all over again,
I'd build self-esteem first, and the house later.
I'd finger-paint more, and point the finger less.
I would do less correcting and more connecting.
I'd take my eyes off my watch, and watch with my eyes.
I'd take more hikes and fly more kites.
I'd stop playing serious, and seriously play.
I would run through more fields and gaze at more stars.
I'd do more hugging and less tugging.
~Diane Loomans

No comments: